maanantai 19. tammikuuta 2015

start.continue.grow

I have enjoyed doing watercolour stamping with the lovely bold Banksy stamps, so I decided to combine the watercolor stamping with the VivaLasVegaStamps! January challenge.

The challenge board asks for shades of blue and tan, music notes and a theme of growth, roots and weeds... so here we are: the girl watering the tv-antennae has taken a time consuming job, but gets to watch her plant grow. This is probably the dream of a little tv-antennae seed hibernating in the ground and waiting for spring!


I have been trying to follow the Documented Life Project prompts for art journaling, and even though I have got a couple of weeks mixed up, this goes for the week 2 prompt about beginnings.Teh text at the bottom of the spread says "start.continue...grow"





The Banksy stamp has been inked with Distress inks straight from the pads: Peeled paint and Vintage photo for the ground, Mowed lawn for the plant and Chipped saphire and Seedless preserves for the girl. before pressing the image on the paper it has been lightly spritzed with water. I'm going to have to admit I made about double the amount of these before I was satisfied... I kept getting smudges on the card... that's for not washing my hands in between every stage! The images looked a little lost by themselves, so I made inky blue frames for them, and took the chance to add some sewing in my art journal.


I used some old music paper for the background. After adhering it I covered it with clear and white gesso. I painted the background with watercolours: blue for the edges in many layers, with some extra water to get it to run and dark brown in the middle area with lots of splatters. After trying my focal images on the page, I added some green among the brown and some pink among the blue to combine with the shades on the stamped girl.


I searched for "weedy" stamps in my stash and found a few different ones. You might be able to see the grass border and branches from the weathered tree. I stamped the clockface and my weeds with Archival ink (Watering Can) and learned that it doesn't stamp well on gesso: the ink seeped its way into the gesso: everything looked fine just as it was stamped, and was all smudgy when dry! I decided to try adding detail with Versafine and some stardust stamps that are cut from a VLVS magical image. This worked fine. I did my journaling with a black fude ball pen along the edges of the paper. I started my line of thought with a quote from a Finnish rock song that I quoted already on the page before (and plan to continue on the next page too) This verse says "Just let all the flowers bloom".


4 kommenttia:

  1. Tosi kiva. Tykkään tuosta kasvusta kuvissa ja värimaailmasta.

    VastaaPoista
  2. I love love love it. Watercolor stamping is a favorite technique of mine. I love the colors you wanted to use as well!

    VastaaPoista