maanantai 14. maaliskuuta 2016

R is for Rathbuni's Salamander

The Craft Barn alpha/dictionary challenge is now asking for R. I looked through my wildlife encyklopedia and chose this blind cave salamander, that actually is really called "Texas blind salamander" if wikipedia can be trusted. Besides the Craft Barn alpha challenge I'm joining in the Craft barn bi-weekly challenge (background circles) and the Country View challenge (Industrial... not that there is anything industrial about the salamander, but the metallic background :)


I covered a piece of paper with aluminium tape and embossed it with a Tim Holtz stencil. I decided not to grunge it with anything, the shiny metal looks fun with the pink non-pigmented critter. As you can see, Finns love to combine words if they initially belong together... "rathbuninluolasalamanteri" is quite a long name but means "the cave-salamander of Rathbun (or Rathbuni)". Wikipedia didn't give a clue about Rathbuni: place or person?!? Below you can see the back of the card with the description. The letter stamp and the harlequin background stamp are both from Rubber Dance Art stamps.


The previous cards for this alpha challenge can be found here:

b (bananaquit)
f (falanouc)
l (flying dragon)
q (quelea)
r (rathbuni's salamander)

9 kommenttia:

  1. I love that your industrial background looks like water bubbles too. I need to make that background for a fish card. That name is as long as its critter is! LoL. It's early in the morning here and I've learned a new word today. Don't I feel so smart now!

    VastaaPoista
  2. Love the background. What an odd looking creature - I am discovering animals I never knew existed thanks to this challenge.

    VastaaPoista
  3. that is one very long word, almost as long as that salamander.

    VastaaPoista
  4. Not sure if I could actually pronounce that word! Like the reflective and textured background.

    VastaaPoista
  5. What a funny looking creature! Great use of the textured background x

    VastaaPoista
  6. I so enjoy visiting and learning new words when I visit your blog. I may never be proficient in the Finnish language, but if I ever run across one, I will know how to say salamander! Great art because I adore that metal tape background.

    VastaaPoista
  7. How clever to get this one entered in both challenges! Your salamander looks great on the metallic background.

    VastaaPoista
  8. What a fantastic word!! Love the contrast here, thank you for entering The Craft Barn's Challenge.
    Jane x

    VastaaPoista
  9. Lovely background to show off the salamander.

    VastaaPoista