keskiviikko 19. elokuuta 2015

Woyww #324

Joining in the world wide desk hop hosted by Julia at the Stamping Ground... just a quick shot of my work-in-progress desk. I gathered stuff for the Craft Barn August calendar (pink and butterflies) last night. I have to leave for work at 9:30, planning to get the page done before I go.


I have been cooking juice lately, and I took some pictures in case some of you have never seen how that is done. Ended up documenting quite a surprise too! The cooker is a three part kettle. The lowest part holds water that is brought to a boil. The second part has a "chimney" that moves the steam to the berries. The juice collects around the chimney. The top part holds the berries and sugar (doing red currants and cherries) it has small holes for the steam to go in and the juice to seep out. Just let it cook for a couple of hours, and you have 5 litres of concentrated fruit nectar. I store it in the freezer and serve on special occasions.






As for the surprise... Well, the first litre of juice should always be poured back through the berries, it helps the top berries to get going, because they get less steam. As I was pouring it, my hand slipped and I spilled it all over the place! Luckily not very much on myself, since it is hot, but had to forget about papercrafting that night...


10 kommenttia:

  1. Oh wow! Thanks for the peek into juice making! And what not to do! Glad you did not hurt yourself too much!!! Happy WOYWW! patsy #6

    VastaaPoista
  2. Sounds really dangerous, not sure if eggs and berries are quite the combination I would go for though. LOL Are those eggs in the pan?
    Happy WOYWW!
    Tertia #25

    VastaaPoista
  3. I love the fresh garden things...but it really is a lot of sometimes fun work. And that spill looks like something I would have to cope with. Glad you didn't get hurt. Lots of fun things on your desk. Have fun playing with them. Have a good week

    VastaaPoista
  4. And that's why I don't make juice! Hehehe....I'm afraid my poor kitchen would not survive! So glad you didn't get burned! Glenda #37

    VastaaPoista
  5. Hi Kristiina- that picture looks like a crime scene from 'Dexter', lol. A bit like our bathroom too after Dougs dyed my hair! Seriously, glad you didn't get hurt, and it sounds an amazing combination of flavours. Have a great week, Hugs, Shaz #5 xxx

    VastaaPoista
  6. I agree it looks like its straight out of Dexter!! Ha Ha - Hope you didnt get hurt. I have to go get a drink now - thinking about that lovely juice! Have a good ( accident free) week Soojay 23

    VastaaPoista
  7. Oh lordy - I'm so glad you arent hurt, but oh my word..it goes everywhere. And its sticky. Ive never seen the kettle before, fascinating and such a great idea, my word I bet that tastes wonderful. If you can still look at it without being reminded of a whole evening of cleaning!

    VastaaPoista
  8. Oh, maaaan - what a sticky mess! I'm glad you didn't spill all that hot stuff all over yourself! I used to have a kettle like that, way back when I had a big garden with lots of berry bushes. I looooove redcurrants and really miss my ol' bushes ... but I get some from a friend who lives nearby.
    Be careful ... and enjoy the yummy juice! :-)

    VastaaPoista
  9. Oh no a berry disaster, I hope you didn't hurt yourself. As for your desk, that looks like you're busy there too.

    VastaaPoista
  10. Good that you didn't hurt yourself. But thanks for posting that process. I've indeed never seen such a pan. I have a frying pan with a hole (like your pan has) in it and I have no idea what it is used for. It was in the caravan we bought (second hand) last spring.
    I love red currents but I have not found them here in Spain (too hot perhaps) we have tried to grow berries (gooseberries and raspberries) with out success.
    Have a good week,
    Lisca#13

    VastaaPoista